The Good Morning Moving Story



I've been up since 5:34 am, stacking boxes in places to go thru them later. Humph. I’m trying not to feel anger towards them and then I recognize I have the power to change my attitude.  Suddenly a warmth comes over me, I begin to become thankful about all the 'stuff' that has accumulated over the years. After the gratitude becomes an actual feeling, my thoughts are clear. And 'truth' questions appear.

We moved most this 'stuff' to Cali and didn't open the box.  The storage unit here has boxes that haven't been opened in 3-6 years. “What are we hanging onto?”, I ask myself? We live great and have been living great without them. Again, I ask, “what are we holding on to?”
To this question,  I do not have an answer.  “It's OK not to know”, I say. That feels good.
I begin to repeat, “Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge! “.  

I open the doors and the fresh air from the water comes pouring in, crisp and glorious.  With a smile on my face, I head to storage to meet the movers and pick up the rental truck.

The movers are late.  “That’s ok”, I say as I bounce to the location in my car.  I get there they have not opened the giant door so I can get in.  They are supposed to be open at 7 am, its 8:50 am.  I drive to the store—no one there.  (Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge!)  After 10 minutes of searching for someone, help appears in front of me to open the doors. 

When inside, I crank my music and open four storage boxes.  There are five but another ‘someone’ has put the lock upside down and it is in need of bolt cutters, which I hear are arriving shortly.  I proceed to fill my car as tight as I can with boxes and park it outside.  

It’s now 9:30 and no one is here but me, so I go into the store to check-in for my moving truck.  There are others customers being helped so while waiting I catch up on texts and emails then get a call from the movers.  I leave my spot in line to meet them and give them instructions.  

After getting the truck, I drive back to see that other ‘someones’ have arrived and are using the movers to help load with the last of their things amongst all the crap now out of the boxes and on the concrete floor.  OK.  It’s almost an hour later and the four of them are still figuring out the puzzle in the back of their truck.  Mine is empty.  (Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge!)  

With kindness, I say, “I’m on a time frame here and I’ve got to get this going.   I’m sure the two of you can figure the rest out on your own.” 


After two trips in the truck (10’ was all they had on short notice) it is now 12:30 pm.  The storage boxes are empty and the new storage unit is so full the only thing you see when you open the door is two file cabinets stacked on top of each other and miscellaneous boxes surrounding them.  I pay my hired help and they leave.  

I have many more items in the truck to be distributed other places and haven’t eaten anything since breakfast at 7 am. (And while I was eating breakfast I watched the coast guard pull someone out of the Columbia River and bring them to the dock where they were met by paramedics.  The person was alive, thank goodness! I prayed for them all.) 

I head back home to nourish my body and bring the items I have in the truck upstairs, which honestly, should have gone into our storage space here at the condo.  However the condo storage  door is locked and I can’t find the key, humph! (Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge!)  

After dropping off the last of the bulky items at my son’s house, I got the truck back to the rental place and had the boxes inspected so we would not be charged for another month.  I head home with the intention of unloading my packed vehicle, but I just can’t do it.  I open the door at the condo, boxes stacked all around the entry and I’m saddened.  I’m alone and dealing with the energy and the emotions of moving.   I’m itchy as hell from the dust and debris and jump into the shower fully clothed!  (Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge!)  Right….

After the shower, there is one spot on my patio with sunshine; I decide to dry in the sun. It feels good.  With a heavy heart full of emotion, I fall asleep.  About 30 minutes later, my daughter wakes me up—she’s had a difficult day and is about ready to cry.  She’s not a crier, so I quietly listen while she vents.  I get to vent a little, but it’s very unsatisfying…

As the night goes on and I’m passing by the boxes, it’s almost impossible to keep the attitude I awoke with, “Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge!”  I’m tired and realize the car is still full!  It’s been a long day, I’m numb with emotion, not sure what I’m really feeling except that I don’t want to sleep alone tonight. I want my partner to be here, to hold me, to assure me “everything is going to be ok”.  No one is here.

(Today is a beautiful day full off gratitude, laughter, joy and sunshine. Simplify, recondition, and purge!) 

Till next time….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude

Hell, On Earth…