Dreamer



Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Writing…being a writer, has been a dream of mine since I was old enough to be asked, “What do you do for a living?” I have always wanted to say, I’m a writer, or, I’m an author, or I’m a journalist — I interview people for a living. I love hearing peoples stories, history, ambitions, sorrows, happiness, I love it all. My belief is, everyone has an inspirational story that will impact someone else’s life for the better - a life lesson if you will.
For example, I’ve spent the last 7 years in and out of people’s homes selling home improvements (boy, do I regret not writing their stories down!). The best information I discovered, was how to live a quality life and be ‘old’ at the same time. Really old! Like 98 and 101! A quality life has three things in common:

1) relaxation/low-key attitude
2) a glass of red wine or two a day/no more than that
3) golf.

You’d think after gathering this information over the years, I’d be relaxing more, practicing an attitude of ‘no worries’, limiting my wine consumption and playing more golf. Right! Much like saying I’m a writer, an author, or a journalist.

“Dreamer”, that’s what I’ve been called. Which, in many cases is a soft insult too as in “why aren’t you doing what you love?”. And the insult is deserved! What keeps us from our dreams? When I lay my head on the pillow at night I ask myself, “Did I have a good day?” If the answer is yes, I sleep well and don’t feel bad about living my dream. If the answer is no, then I beat myself up for not following what I’d like my life to look like. Then I wake up, and start all over again…

Then I Woke Up!

One day, I was typing an ad for my partner to help his business and his dream. Not that it hasn’t hit me before, but it really hit me that particular day. Why am I doing this for him and not myself? What the heck? My story used to be: I coulda, I shoulda, I woulda _________, fill in the blank. You heard the statement, “always a bridesmaid, never the bride”. There you have it! My life consisted of always helping others while abandoning my own dreams, or only getting them half done, or running from success as it started to appear. Not today, not anymore. This may be my first writing to be published on social media for the world to see, but it won’t be my last.

Today, I can say, “I’m a writer.” Feels pretty good, and I’m scared as hell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Morning Moving Story

Attitude

Hell, On Earth…